ReliaTel Accelerates Growth of Global Network Operations' Service Offering
March 20, 2009
By Jessica Kostek
, TMCnet Channel Editor
Gaining a business advantage in the fast moving, highly competitive Managed Services marketplace can be very challenging. Success can only be achieved by truly understanding clients’ needs, and cost efficiently delivering services that consistenly meet those needs – now and into the future.
For Global Network Operations (GNO), a provider of 24x7 Managed Services for both enterprise and carrier clients throughout North America and Europe, business success was directly tied to deploying a strong monitoring and management solution that supported not only legacy TDM, but was also advanced and flexible enough to support the Next Generation IP networks their clients’ were adopting.
When a major Avaya (News
) Platinum Reseller approached GNO to take over management of more than 1000 of their customers’ PBX devices, GNO knew that in order to win the reseller’s business, their NOC (News
) management service had to exceed the capabilities of the proprietary tools the reseller currently used.
“…For companies to even consider outsourcing their network monitoring and management services to us, we needed a solution that expanded our NOC management capabilities beyond what our clients could internally deliver on their own,” reported Tom Brunette, President, GNO.
GNO rose to the challenge and aggressively searched for a monitoring and management solution that could meet their advanced requirements:
- Comprehensive support for Avaya devices was critical, but if the solution was to provide added business value it also had to monitor and manage TDM- and IP-based devices from Nortel, Mitel (News - Alert) and Cisco. Monitoring facility devices such as door “contact closures” was also required. In order to manage diverse customer networks, multiple connectivity options were needed including dial-up, SNMP, and buffer boxes.
- Strong Avaya traffic and performance reporting capabilities were necessary, and the solution was also required to support “cut through” remote access that enabled NOC engineers to remotely access, troubleshoot, and maintain the end-customer’s Avaya devices.
- High scalability to grow as new customers were added was crucial, along with robust security to allow each reseller a view of only their own customers’ network elements, without allowing access to other customer networks or configuration information.
- Extensive notification functionality was necessary, including both escalation and flexible delivery methods so GNO clients could effectively provide first line technical support to their end customers. Using advanced notification features, GNO clients could gain a competitive advantage by offering their end customers stringent service level agreements.
After evaluating two leading network monitoring and management systems, GNO found both products fell short of the functional requirements and expectations. Determined to succeed, GNO then evaluated the ReliaTel Management solution
from Tone Software (News
). After thoroughly testing the ReliaTel Management solution, GNO immediately appreciated its flexible capabilities to manage diverse TDM and IP based devices from Avaya, Nortel (News
), Cisco, Mitel, and many others.
“We evaluated two leading NMM tools prior to selecting ReliaTel as our management solution to support our Avaya reseller opportunity. The key to selecting ReliaTel was its capability to match the strong functionality of Avaya’s proprietary tool, and the flexibility to allow our clients to seamlessly add new customers with multi-vendor environments,” stated Adrian Robinson, Managing Director, UK Operations.
GNO chose the ReliaTel solution from Tone Software for several key reasons:
- Strong management capabilities that could meet and exceed those found in Avaya tools
- Flexibility to manage diverse systems and rapidly bring new clients under management
- Robust notification and cut-through access to remotely administer and control devices
- Customizable traffic and performance reporting facilities
- Ability to visually map and securely view each individual end-customer’s network
- Stability of the ReliaTel solution that required minimal support effort
Because ReliaTel provides the ability to manage many manufacturers’ devices, GNO’s client was able to extend support to all of their end-customer’s network devices and appliances.
Brunette concluded by saying, “Utilizing ReliaTel as our NOC management solution has helped to accelerate GNO’s business growth and profitability. We can now provide management services for a broader range of TDM and IP technologies, and we can deliver that service at an attractive price that has significant economic advantages for our clients.”
The ReliaTel solution from Tone Software manages TDM, IP voice, and IT data assets within a single management platform, and continuously monitors all voice and network components, connections, and circuits in near real-time. Through agent-less, non-intrusive communication with all elements, ReliaTel analyzes physical health, faults, performance metrics, operational events, capacity, and QoS, to ensure voice quality and service levels across multi-platform, converging voice networks.
Jessica Kostek is a channel editor for TMCnet, covering VoIP, CRM, call center and wireless technologies. To read more of Jessica’s articles, please visit her columnist page.
Edited by Jessica Kostek